Friday 22 July 2011

Frosty Feelings for Frost Flowers...



Guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle...  I've been trying to decide whether or not I should carry on knitting the red "Amelia Scarf".  I absolutely adore the finished pattern, and all the scarves I've seen on Rav, but I'm ready to admit it: Frost Flowers is driving me NUTS!  It's just so unbearably  s l o w  and  fIDdLy  and just - argh!



These two pictures were taken about a month apart, so it definitely is growing!  Perhaps I'm being a little unfair - this is the most complicated pattern I've ever attempted.  And true, if ever anything was in dire need of a blocking it's this, so perhaps I'm not appreciating the pattern as much as I should... 

What do you guys think?  Do you find it's ever worth persisting with a project to get to the FO, or is it all about enjoying the WIP?

Kim x

8 comments:

supertinks said...

Definitely worth perservering. Although I have to say, I'd be going nuts too, trying to do that on straight needles! Is there a reason you're not using circulars?

Inthesky said...

I think if it is for yourself I would keep going, it is so beautiful. You will be glad of it in the winter and it looks like a head turner to me :)

Kim said...

Thank you for the lovely words of encouragement :) Having looked at it a bit more, I think I will stick with it and try not to get too impatient!

Tink - I'm not sure about your comment about circs... the scarf is worked flat so surely straights are the best thing? (Although I'm all ears if there's an easier way!!). I tend to prefer straight needles as I'm a "pit-knitter" and even though I can use circs and dpns, they still feel a little fiddly compared to just holding a needle under my arm.

Much love,
Kim x

supertinks said...

I'm a very awkward knitter with straight needles; I find circs much easier to use than straights, especially really long ones. The main benefit of them is that the weight of the work is held on the cable, and not on the needles, so it's easier on your hands/wrists/arms, especially as the item gets longer and longer. It's also easier when you've got a high stitch count, as you can spread your stitches out over a longer distance than just the length of your straight needles. I guess that's helpful too, if you're working a complicated stitch pattern and occasionally need to stretch out your work to find out where you are in the row!

Connys Cottage said...

what al lovely Pattern.


hugs COnny

Grateful4Crochet said...

ummmmm...............Props to you for even trying to make that scarf!!
It looks really hard, but really awesome!!
Good luck with it
x

Tickety-boo said...

oh it looks lovely but very complicated. It would be a finished object of envy. It does look very complicated though and I am one of those instant gratification kinda girl! I need my projects to grow quickly or I loose my faith.
If you have the patience I think you should keep going it is stunning.
Love
Tickety-boo
xx

KnittingPony said...

I think it is beautiful - I would keep going and have this project as your long term project maybe and just have a regular knit from time to time. I had a crochet kidsilk cowl which I doubted I'd ever finish as it took so long and was so dull to make but after a year I got a second wind and am glad I didn't give up on it. Light lace knits are so versatile in cooler weather. Plus that colour is stunning!